Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lemon Steamed Spinach

This week's frenchfridayswithdorie.com recipe, I thought, was the lemon steamed spinach.  It appears that it was not, but I will go ahead with this post anyway.  What a crazy week!  In New Jersey we had a winter storm threat that didn't quite deliver the snow that was expected (so glad!) but we did have some wicked winds.  Then when we weren't expecting snow, I awoke on Friday morning to see about 1.5 inches on the ground (yes, I know that's not a lot) and had to drive up to the middle of the state for a quarterly conference for work.  March's storm in our are tried to put on a brave face, but she was mild in the end. Winter's last hurrah, I suppose.  Our neighbors in the north though got a good 6 inches.  I know the New Englanders would tell us to quit whining, after all, they got blasted again with some getting another 2 feet.  Oh, I love their summers but those winters...

I don't have a steamer basket (how's that you ask?) so I had no choice but to wilt the spinach in the olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice so it doesn't have full leaf appearance. 'Looks aren't everything' is a true adage many times, and certainly the case with my wilted spinach.  The lemon flavor was a real standout with the baby spinach flavor.  I made a version of the salmon Dorie suggested to go with this dish.  My salmon was simple with a hoisin sauce and toasted sesame seeds. Dinner in about 30 minutes, start to finish.

Now I have to go read all about the cheesy creme brulee that the other Doristas made this week.  It's sounds delish!

2 comments:

  1. The spinach (and the salmon) sound really good! I am making this tomorrow - fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo!! This is my kind of dinner!! Sounds so yummy! Love the spinach…looking forward to giving it a try.
    Kathleen…my part of NJ got 6 inches and we were supposed to only get 1 to 2 inches. Seems this storm really fooled everyone! I’m in the Sparta area. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete