Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Squash and Brussels Sprouts


Brown Sugar Squash and Brussels Sprouts en Papillote 1/31/13

In my house, only Husband and I will eat brussel sprouts and squash, Son will not touch either.
Instead of using foil packets to house the cubed butternut squash, I halved Brussels sprouts, and cubed and peeled the apples, and decided to roast them in one large pan. Tossed with olive oil, brown sugar (though I didn’t think the extra sweetness was called for), salt and pepper, they went into the 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
It wasn’t a bad tasting dish, but I wasn’t thrilled with it either. I’ve made both vegetables other ways and found my own version brought out their respective flavors much better. Husband liked it well enough, though.
My versions: I bake butternut squash with sweet corn with butter and maple syrup as a side dish for Thanksgiving. My favorite way to prepare brussels sprouts is simple to microwave them with a tablespoon or two of bacon fat. Heavenly (in my opinion)!
I cooked it, we ate it, probably not to be seen on my table in this version again.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry this wasn’t a hit in your house! I really enjoyed the veggies cooked this way, however I do prefer roasting my veggies in the oven with a bit of olive oil.
    My son-in-law made the cake…I did the whip cream and my daughter decorated it with Karate men…she just thought the whipped cream deserved strawberries so she spelled out names in the strawberries! It was a Ninjago lego party!
    Have a great weekend, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of that recipe for butternut squash and corn, absolutely perfect for
    Thanksgiving dinner. I was never one for too many squash recipes other than zucchini,
    but since FFWD I have really enjoyed some great meals with butternut, acorn, etc.
    Have a great weekend, enjoy Super Bowl Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry this wasn't a huge hit - the squash and sweet corn sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We enjoyed this combination, but your favourite ways of cooking these veggies sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well bacon fat makes everything taste better! :) Sorry it didn't go over too well. It was a big hit at my house. (I ate most of them myself!)

    ReplyDelete